Puzzle & Case Interviews
Puzzle Interview Questions
During interviews, you may be asked technical and/or puzzle questions. For information visit techinterview.org and visit our office to view a copy of How Would You Move Mount Fuji?
Case Interviewing 101
- What is a Case Interview?
An opportunity for you to demonstrate your problem-solving skills to employers.
- What Types of Companies Might use Case Interviews?
- Management Consulting Firms
- Investment Banking
- Consumer Product Management
- Research and Marketing
- What Does a Case Interview Look Like?
You will be introduced to a business dilemma typically representative of the company's industry. Once provided with background information, you will be asked to analyze the situation, identify key issues, and discuss how you would address the problems involved. The interview will proceed as an open dialogue between you and the interviewer. The interviewer guides the discussion while you are expected to ask questions and move towards a resolution.
- Why Do Companies use Case Interviews?
- To measure your problem solving ability: How do you logically think through a problem?
- To see how well you think on your feet: How do you react to and deal with ambiguity?
- To assess your communication skills: How well do you listen? Can you summarize and discuss your conclusions coherently?
- To assess your business skills: How do you prioritize? How do you organize your thoughts?
- Tips to Keep in Mind
Your approach to solving the problem is more important than whether you arrive at the correct answer; sometimes there is no right answer, So Think Out Loud!
- Try to follow a logical structure:
- Listen carefully! Establish and verbalize your understanding of the case.
- Develop your approach to the situation; define and focus on the critical issues.
- Ask questions: Clarify anything you don't understand. Ask for more information if you feel it is needed.
- Summarize your analysis and draw conclusions.
- Don't forget to pace yourself: Take your time and work through the problem.
- RELAX! Try to have fun with the process; interact with the interviewer!
- How Do I Prepare Myself?
Register for Career Insider (powered by Vault) to download the Guide to Case Interviews.
Check out the CQInteractive database.
Visit 201 Carpenter Hall and view Case In Point for the "Complete Case Interview Preparation."
Review additional resources through the CCS website.
Read Vault Blog: How to End a Case Interview on a High Note
Check out Management Consulting Case Interviews
View Consulting & Financial Firm Websites:
Bain & Company; Bain Interview Video
Boston Consulting Group
McKinsey; McKinsey Problem Sovling Test (PST); PetraEnergy Case Example
View Victor Chen's Marathon Case Interview Prep
Part 1: Case Interview Workshop Introduction
Part 2: Case Interviewer Basics & Case Interviewer Mindset
Part 3: How to Open, Analyze, and Close a Case Interview
Part 4: How to Open, Analyze, and Close a Case Interview
Part 5: Matching Case Interviews to Problem-Solving Frameworks
Part 6: Case Interview Profit Framework
Part 7: Business Situation Case Interview Framework
Part 8: How to Practice Case Interviews
Part 9: Business Situation Case Interview Demo
Part 10: Case Interview Question & Answers
Part 11: Mergers and Acquisition Case Interview Demo
Part 12: Case Interview Tips